Do you struggle to get engagement on your Facebook Page?
Are you tired of having like zero people seeing your content?
Girl, I totally feel you!
It totally stinks when you put all of your hard work and efforts into creating content and sharing it on social media, only to hear crickets and have a small percentage of your following actually see. It's so frustrating! Which is why I want to share with you, my 10 ways to organically boost the reach of your posts on your Facebook Page.
Now before I dive in, I want to make something clear. Please don't get hung up on a number of page likes or followers that you have. Yes having 20k following you gives you an air of credibility and in time you'll get there. However, I want you to focus on the quality of your followers. Are they your ICA? Do they engage regularly? Do they buy from you?
If your following is small but mighty, then great! I personally would rather you have a smaller but engaged following that is your tribe of people rather than to have 20k people that don't have a rats patoot about what you do or how you can help. Makes sense, right? Therefore, love and nurture your following from the start when so that they stay loyal and true to you. In return, they'll recommend you and your page to their network.
Alright, let's dive in! Here are my 10 ways to organically boost your reach on your Facebook Page:
- SHARE A VARIETY OF CONTENT- Don't post the same type of content every day. Mix it up for a little variety. Try doing posts with graphics, text posts, industry related resources such as blog posts, video or articles, memes, your own livestreams or prerecorded videos.
- POST A MINIMUM OF 4X A DAY - Typically you want to post at a bare minimum 4x per day and nothing more than seven. Anything more than 7 could be considered as spammy and the last thing we want it to be viewed as a spammer. Eww! To give you an idea, here is an example of what you could post 4x a day: Quote, Industry related resource, prerecorded video and a promotion for your product or service. Remember to follow the 80/20 rule for promotions. Post valuable content for 80% of the time and 20% of the time promote.
- POST CONSISTENTLY - Create a schedule and post consistently to your page at peak times of the day. You'll need to review your Facebook analytics to see what times are considered high peak times to post. And if you're just starting out, choose a handful of times that are 2-3 hours apart and run with it. Mix it up the 2nd week and track your analytics. Biggest tip is to track your posts and leverage your analytics so that you can post engaging content during high peak times.
- SHARE ORIGINAL CONTENT - Share your original content on your page up to 80% of the time. What is original content? It is content created by YOU that reflects you, your brand and your business that establishes credibility. Therefore, it is NOT content that you share from industry related sources. Now since you need to post a mixture of content, you'll want to be sure that you share other people's content to your page only 20% of the time. Sharing content that is not original to you helps build the know, like and trust factor with your followers. It also lets them know that you're up to date on industry related topics so that it helps position yourself as an authority figure, leader, and expert in the industry. However, NOTHING will position yourself as an authority figure, leader, and expert in the industry better than your own original content. Which is why you want majority of your page to be your own personal work. In doing so, you'll increase the know, like and trust factor, position yourself as an authority figure, leader, and expert and as a result will increase the engagement which will increase the Facebook Page's reach and likes.
- ENGAGE WITH YOUR FOLLOWERS - Set aside a few minutes a day to engage with your followers. If someone comments on your posts, engage back. This reciprocation will make your follower feel important and will likely want to continue engaging on your Facebook page in the future. Not only that, the engagement helps with the "brown points" your page is earning for the Facebook algorithm. More points = more reach.
- LIKE YOUR OWN POSTS - Now this one may be a little odd, but a tactic that does work is to like your post both as you the Page admin and you as an individual person. At a minimum, your posts will have two engagements or "likes" and this will help with the "brownie points" you need for Facebook to recommend your page to others.
- SHARE YOUR POSTS WITH OTHERS - Firstly, don't overly cross-promote your page with other or groups. Choose 1-3 places that you could share at different times of day and share the content. I recommend that you share any business related items to your personal page and refrain from posting anything business-related where there could be an exchange of money happening as it does violate Facebook terms of service (See section 4: Registration and Account Security, item #4. or view the screenshot below). The advantage of sharing your post to other pages or within Facebook groups is that it again will help increase your reach by boosting your "brownie points" for the algorithm.
- LEVERAGE THE AUDIENCE OPTIMIZATION FOR POSTS - This is something new that I am testing out. Yay! See the photo below for guidance, but if you go to your Facebook Page settings > General> Audience Optimization for Posts then check the box that says allow preferred audience.... you'll be able to direct your posts to your target audience. Essentially what this will do is boost your post for FREE! Much like boosting your posts with a paid ad, this is your workaround to do it for nothing. Pretty slick, right?
Once you have this feature turned on, you'll need to create your Facebook Page post and then choose your targeted audience based on your post. See the photo below of what your message will appear for you to create a post. Keep in mind this feature is only available if you post on the fly or schedule your posts through Facebook. This will not work with a third party application such as Hootsuite.
- DON'T USE A THIRD-PARTY APPLICATION TO SCHEDULE CONTENT - What the what? If you know me, I am the QUEEN of automation. However, here's the real truth, as much as I love having everything automated so that I can set it and forget it, the downfall is that it reduces my reach. Boo! Therefore, this one goes against what I normally say...AUTOMATE, AUTOMATE, AUTOMATE! But when you schedule your posts in Facebook your organic reach will legitimately be higher. I justify using a third-party application for the convenience factor. I know that it reduces my reach, but I'd rather save myself a bit of time and use one platform than to have to use multiple to schedule the same content on various social media outlets. With Hootsuite, I can create a post to be scheduled and choose all the platforms I want it to go to and boom I'm done! Easy peasy! Therefore, use your judgment on this one.
- DON'T ASK YOUR FOLLOWERS TO "LIKE" OR "SHARE" IN THE TEXT PORTION OF YOUR POST - Interestingly Facebook has been cracking down on this and will actually limit your reach when you ask your audience to "like" or "share" your post in the text portion of your post. Lame! Therefore, the workaround is to ask your audience to "like" or "share" on the text of your graphic or in the comments below.
Alright, there you have it! Ten really simple things you can do to organically boost your Facebook Page reach. I truly hope this was valuable for you and brought some insights into different ways you can leverage these ideas to increase your reach organically.
In the comments below, I'd like for you to share: What 3 ways will you use to boost your organic reach on your Facebook Page?