14 FOOLPROOF TIPS FOR THE PERFECT BLOG POST
What is a blog?
A blog is a social platform where you can share your thoughts, musings, experience, expertise, and more as an online journal or article that allows you to connect with others through your writing.
And if you’re a newbie blogger, the blogging world can seem overwhelming. Trust me; I totally get it! When started blogging, I wasn’t 100% certain how to craft the “perfect” blog post. For me, it was all about writing and getting my thoughts out. What I didn’t realize is that certain aspects of a post will get you more comments, likes, shares, followers and an SEO boost. Woah! Talk about mind-blowing, right?
I have reviewed several of my favorite blogs from industry experts and jotted down key aspects that were cohesive amongst their blogs. Being an avid blog lover for years, I totally geeked out over this little experiment.
Therefore, I have outlined below, the fourteen foolproof tips for the perfect blog post that'll build your credibility, boost your SEO, drive traffic and attract leads with ease:
- HEADLINE - The first and last three words of a headline are the most important. Make those six words matter!
- INTRO - Discuss main key points by outlining clearly the objectives of the post.
- BODY - Content to fully explain the purpose of the post. Usually between 500-10,000 words. Longer posts get more backlinks and better SEO.
- SUBHEADERS - Headlines that allow the reader to scan the post for information that interests them. Perfect for fast readers or the skimmers.
- CONCLUSION - Content to explain lessons learned or a brief summary of the post.
- CALL TO ACTION (CTA) - Catchy CTA to get the reader engaged. One to two is ideal as long as they’re in separate locations within the post.
- GRAPHICS - More graphics the more backlinks you’ll have to boost your SEO.
- RELATED POST LINKS - Link to previous blog posts so that readers can read similar posts and become a raving fan.
- RESOURCE LINKS - Link sources for your post and builds your credibility with other leading industry experts.
- SOCIAL SHARE BUTTONS - Readers are 7x more likely to share when social share buttons are available.
- COMMENT SECTION - Allows the reader to leave a comment on your blog post so that you can engage with them to build the know, like, and trust factor.
- BIO SECTION - Share more about you so the reader can learn about you without navigating the site.
- OPT-IN BOX - Get more subscribers by offering a place for them to opt-in on the blog post.
- CONTENT UPGRADE - Valuable content that is relatable to the blog post that has an opt-in box to subscribe to a freebie. That freebie could be a PDF, eBook, video series, challenge and more.
Here's an expert tip, whenever possible, use the following within your blog post: bullet points, lists, charts, graphics, bolded sections, quotes or subheaders.
Now that's not too bad, right? In all honesty, once you get into a groove these 14 elements become second nature but help tremendously with SEO, driving traffic, boosting engagement, building relationship, growing your following and more.
If you're totally new to blogging and wondering why your small business should start one, take a look at a related article: 15 Reasons to Blog as a Small Business Owner. In addition, if you're completely overwhelmed and aren't sure where to start with creating a blog, take a look at this resource and infographic by Website Builder where they share the scoop on how to create a blog!
Share in the comments below: What's your #1 struggle with blogging?